Wednesday 31 October 2012

Happy Halloween!

How could I possibly write a blog about parenting without talking about Halloween! If your kids are like mine, they barely slept last night and jumped out of bed this morning (if only every morning could be so easy, sigh…). Although Halloween is an exciting time for children, it can also be very scary.  I can still remember one year, when I was about 5, we were trick or treating in our neighbourhood when I heard scary music in the background.  I had no idea where it was coming from (I know now that it was my neighbour playing it on a tape recorder –remember those?! ). But when I was 5, it was incredibly scary for me because I couldn’t understand what was going on.  When young children have gaps in their understanding (e.g., I hear strange music, but I don’t know where it’s coming from or why it’s being played), they try to figure it out themselves.  Sometimes that can lead to additional fear and anxiety (e.g., maybe I hear that music because the house next door is haunted). However, if we can help them fill in the gaps, it can help reduce anxiety.  If your children look scared tonight, take a moment to explain what they’re seeing.  If your children are older, have them explain it to you and help them out if necessary.  Without explanation, the child may feel a negative reaction (fear, anxiety, etc.).  The reaction may not be immediate and it may actually be expressed before bed or even during their dreams!  More to come on dreams and night terrors in the next blog entry…  Until then, have a safe and happy Halloween!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment